Jim received his B.S. degree in aerospace engineering from the University of Texas at Austin, then served as an officer in the U.S. Air Force for two years, before moving to Denver where he attended the University of Denver School of Law. Jim joined White and Steele as an associate attorney and became a shareholder in 1982. In more than thirty years of trial practice, Jim has had wide experience in civil litigation, having tried numerous cases at the federal and state district court levels. His jury trials have involved wrongful termination and discrimination claims, commercial litigation, auto dealer liability, trucking and other motor vehicle accidents, product liability, insurance coverage, premises liability, toxic exposure and contractual disputes. In doing work for insurance and self-insured corporate clients, Jim has tried cases throughout the state of Colorado.
An experienced appellate court practitioner, Jim has successfully argued a number of cases in the Colorado appellate courts involving products liability, auto dealership liability, statutes of limitations, automobile insurance coverage and contractors’ insurance.
Jim holds a Martindale-Hubbell AV rating, the highest peer rating given to attorneys, and is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, a peer-selected organization of attorneys with extensive jury trial experience. Over the past ten years, Jim has consistently been recognized as one of Colorado’s top personal injury defense lawyers in the Colorado Super Lawyers magazine.
Jim served as the President of White and Steele from 2001 through 2008. In 2018 Jim became of counsel with the firm and continues to maintain his active litigation practice.
- University of Texas at Austin, B.S. Aerospace Engineering
- University of Denver College of Law, J.D
- United States Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- Colorado state courts
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Council on Litigation Management
- White v. Denver Seminary, 157 F. Supp. 2d 1171 (Americans with Disabilities Act)
- Florum v. Elliott Manufacturing Company, 629 F. Supp. 1145 (successor corporation liability in products liability case)
- Campbell v. Burt Toyota Diahatsu, 983 P.2d 95 (duty of a repair shop to warn of danger)
- MFA Mutual Insurance Company v. Government Employees Insurance Company, 785 P.2d 128 (PIP coverage primacy and contribution rights between insurers)
- Ohio Casualty Insurance Company v. Imperial Contractors, 765 P.2d 1060 (insurance coverage in construction defect case)
- Persichini v. Brad Regan, Inc., 735 P.2d 168 (statute of limitations in products liability case)
- Michelin v. District Court, 620 P.2d 1040 (long arm jurisdiction in products liability case)
- Liebelt v. Bob Penkhus Volvo-Mazda, Inc., 961 P.2d 1147 (negligent entrustment of automobile)
- Beasley v. Best Car Buys Ltd., 363 P.3d 777 (alleged car dealership liability for sale to a dangerous driver)