John P. Craver has been a shareholder at White and Steele since 1987 and became president of White and Steele in 2010. His trial experience covers numerous areas of civil litigation, and he has tried approximately 50 jury trials. He began his practice primarily as a workers’ compensation lawyer defending employers and insurance companies and has tried over 200 workers’ compensation cases before administrative law judges. During the past twenty years, John has focused his practice toward civil jury trial work in the areas of insurance bad faith, tractor trailer, product liability, ski accidents, motor vehicle accidents, premises liability, dram shop liability, and libel and slander.
John has frequently lectured and also testified as an expert witness in coverage and extra contractual claims. John has demonstrated an ability to control damages in catastrophic cases. In the last three years, John has successfully defended cases involving death, paralysis, drunk driving and insurance bad faith. He has spoken for continuing legal education programs in Colorado, Wyoming and nationally. He has advised insurance companies in regard to claims practices and handling. In recent years, John has litigated several multi-million dollar exposure cases on behalf of large personal and commercial lines carriers and trucking companies such as Ryder Systems, Inc. He has also been involved with high public profile cases including acting as trial counsel for John Ramsey and coverage counsel on the Columbine cases. John also occasionally serves as an arbitrator/mediator.
In June of 2005, John was honored as one of three finalists to the Best of the Bar, Personal Injury Defense by the Denver Business Journal and Denver Bar Association.
- University of Illinois, B.S. College of Commerce, 1978 with honors
- University of Denver College of Law, J.D., 1981
- United States Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- Colorado state courts
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Member of Product Liability Division
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- Trucking and Insurance Defense Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Extra Contractual Committee
- Trial Tactics Committee
- American Manufacturers Mutual Insurance Company v. Seco-Warwick Corporation, 266 F. Supp.2d 1259 (D. Colo. 2003)
- Springs v. Perry, 8 P.3rd 517 (Colo. App. 2000)
- Myles v. Ramsey, 31 F. Supp. 869 (D. Colo. 1998)
- Nunn v. MidCentury 215 P.3d 1196 (2009), 244 P.3d 116 (2010)
- Others available upon request