Robert Coate was born in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.
Mr. Coate was admitted to the Pennsylvania bar in the fall of 1986 and began serving as an Assistant Public Defender with the Chester County Public Defender’s Office in West Chester, Pennsylvania. He left Pennsylvania in 1989 to live and work on the Island of Yap in the Federated States of Micronesia, formerly part of the United States Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. He served as Chief Public Defender of Yap State for two years before returning to the United States.
He joined White and Steele in September 1991. He has been primarily a workers’ compensation defense attorney during his career at White and Steele. He is a member of the Professionals in Workers’ Compensation and the Colorado Defense Lawyers Association. He has successfully briefed and argued cases before the Colorado Court of Appeals and the Colorado Supreme Court on various workers’ compensation issues.
- University of Colorado/Boulder, B.A. Political Science and History 1982 Cum laude
- Temple University School of Law, J.D. 1986
- United States Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Colorado state courts
- Pennsylvania state courts
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- Colorado Professionals in Workers Compensation