Monty L. Barnett was born in Rawlins, Wyoming and grew up in a rural Wyoming community.
He began his employment with White and Steele in 1991 as a law clerk and became associated with the firm in 1992 after graduation and admission to the bars. He became a shareholder in 2001 and is currently one of the managing shareholders of the firm.
Monty holds a Martindale-Hubbell AV rating, the highest peer rating given to attorneys. He has also been selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America in the area of personal injury litigation. Monty has tried numerous cases to verdict in state and federal courts in Wyoming and Colorado. His practice focuses on litigation, including the direct representation of a number of insurance companies as well as the defense of those companies’ insureds who have been sued by third parties. He defends a wide variety of liability claims, including medical malpractice, products liability, construction liability, automobile and trucking accidents, premises liability and a variety of recreational injury cases. He is a frequent speaker on a variety of topics, including bad faith, personal injury defense, automobile law, wrongful death, and liability associated with sports and recreational activities.
Monty is currently serving on the legislative committee of the Defense Lawyers Association of Wyoming. He has also been appointed to serve as a liaison between the Wyoming State Bar and the University of Wyoming College of Law, and he also serves as a member of the University of Wyoming College of Law Dean’s Advisory Board.
- University of Wyoming, B.S. Administration of Justice, 1989
- University of Wyoming College of Law, J.D., 1992
– Pi Sigma Alpha
– Alpha Phi Sigma
– American Jurisprudence Award for Appellate Advocacy
- United States Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the District of Wyoming
- Colorado state courts
- Wyoming state courts
- Shoshone and Arapaho Tribal Courts
- Colorado Bar Association
- Wyoming Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Lawyers Association of Wyoming
- American Trucking Association
- Wyoming Trucking Association